Gas leaks and power cuts


Gas leaks and power cuts

If you smell gas or suspect a leak, please call the National Grid Emergency Service immediately on

0800 111 999


Do not call from your mobile indoors as it could cause a spark. Take your mobile outside or ask a neighbour if you can use their phone.

If you think there might be a gas leak:

  • Turn all gas appliances off. If the pilot light on a gas appliance stays on even after you have turned it off then it could be a sign of a gas leak.
  • Don’t turn any light switches or appliances on or off as they could cause a spark.
  • Don’t smoke or light matches/cigarette lighters.
  • Put out any naked flames like candles.
  • Turn off the gas at the meter and leave it off until the leak has been repaired. You can turn the gas off by turning the emergency control valve on the pipe leading to the meter to the OFF position.
  • Open windows and doors to let the gas escape.
  • If you have an electrical security entry lock then do not use it. The door must be opened manually when the engineer arrives.

If none of your gas appliances are working, there is probably a problem with your supply. Call the National Grid Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.

Gas Safety

Carbon Monoxide

Faulty gas fittings and appliances can give off poisonous carbon monoxide gas.

You can’t see it, smell it or taste it, but it can kill in hours.

You could be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if:

  • Your gas appliance wasn’t installed properly.
  • Your gas appliance is not working properly.
  • Your gas appliance has not been checked for safety or maintained regularly.
  • There isn’t enough fresh air in the room.
  • Your chimney or flue is blocked.
  • An engineer who is not on the Gas Safe Register installed or maintained your appliances.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning to look out for include tiredness, drowsiness, headache, nausea, pains in the chest and stomach pains. These symptoms are similar to common illnesses and can easily be mistaken for flu or even just tiredness.

If you or your family experience these symptoms and you believe carbon monoxide may be involved, you must seek urgent medical advice.

  • Never use a gas appliance if you think it is not working properly. Signs to look out for include yellow or orange flames, soot or stains around the appliance and pilot lights which keep going out.
  • Never cover an appliance or block the convection air vents.
  • Never block or obstruct any ventilation grills or air bricks.
  • Never block or cover outside flues.
  • Whenever draught exclusion, ceiling or extraction fans, double glazing or conservatory extensions are fitted to a room containing a gas appliance the appliance should be checked for safety.

It’s a good idea to install a carbon monoxide alarm. Make sure that it meets current safety standards (BS EN 50291) and carries the Kitemark. Alarms are a great precaution, but they’re no substitute for proper installation and maintenance of your gas equipment by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

 Gas safety checks – Health and Safety Executive advice

You should get your gas appliances checked for safety at least once a year by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

You could be entitled to a free safety check. If you are over 60, have long term ill-health, are registered disabled, or have a child under five years old living with you, you are entitled to join our Priority Services Register. It’s completely free and entitles you to lots of extra services including free gas safety checks. Find out more about the Priority Services Register here, or give us a call 0800 160 1240.

Remember, by Law:

Anyone carrying out work on gas appliances or fittings as part of their business must be registered with the Gas Safe Register. Always check your engineer is registered by asking to see their ID card which has a photo of the engineer, their business registration number and personal licence number, company name, the start and expiry date of the card and a security hologram. The reverse of the card details what kind of gas work the engineer is qualified to do. You can also call Gas Safe register during office hours on 0800 408 5500 or visit their website

You must not use any gas appliance you think is unsafe. Gas Safe Registered engineers will disconnect any gas appliance suspected to be life endangering. If your engineer asks your permission to disconnect an appliance we advise that you agree for your own safety. Have the appliance repaired by a Gas Safe Registered engineer before using it again.

Landlords are generally responsible for making sure that gas fittings and flues are maintained and safety checked at least once a year. If you own the appliance, you are responsible for maintenance and safety checks.


Power Cuts

If you think you have a power cut, the first thing to do is check that it’s definitely a power cut and not just a fault in your home. Check with your neighbours, and if they don’t have power either it’s safe to say it’s probably a power cut.

If so, you should contact your local electricity distribution network operator. If you’re not sure who this is, you can find out by looking at the Supply Number on your electricity bill. The distribution area ID is the bottom left hand number.

Find your area ID in the table below to find the correct number to call.


Area ID

Distribution company

Power loss number



UK Power Networks

0800 316 3105

East Midlands


Western Power Distribution

0800 678 3105



UK Power Networks

0800 316 3105

Merseyside & North Wales


Scottish Power

0800 001 5400



Western Power Distribution

0800 678 3105

North East


Northern Powergrid

0800 66 88 77

North West


Electricity North West

0800 195 4141

North Scotland


Scottish and Southern Energy

0800 300 999

South Scotland


Scottish Power

0800 092 9290

South East


UK Power Networks

0800 316 3105



Scottish and Southern Energy

0800 072 7282

South Wales


Western Power Distribution

0800 678 3105

South West


Western Power Distribution

0800 678 3105



Northern Powergrid

0800 375 675



Independent Power Networks Ltd

0800 013 0849



ESP Electricity Ltd

0800 731 6945



Energetics Electricity Ltd

0800 804 8688



The Electricity Network Company Ltd

0800 032 6990



UK Power Networks (IDNO) Ltd

0800 316 3105



Harlaxton Energy Networks Ltd (HARL)

0800 055 6288

What if it’s not a power cut?

If your neighbours have power then it could be a fault in your home.

First, check your fuse box

  • The trip switch in your fuse box may have turned itself off. Turn off your appliances then try turning the trip switch back on.
  • With the trip switch on, turn your appliances back on. If the trip switch on your fuse box turns itself off again after switching on an appliance, that appliance could be faulty and shouldn’t be used.
  • If you stop using the faulty appliance then your power should stay on.

Is there power in some parts of your home and not others?

If so, it could be a problem with your wiring and you should call a qualified electrician as soon as you can.

If there is still a problem

If your distribution network operator has told you there are no problems on your part of the network, you have checked your trip switch and you still have no power in your home, there could be a problem with your electricity meter.

Call us on 0800 160 1240 and we’ll send someone out to get it sorted as soon as we can.